Thursday, September 25, 2014

Happy Birthday, William Faulkner!

William Faulkner was born in 1897 and would've been 117 years old today!  He's the author of many books and stories. My favorite is his novel, The Sound and The Fury (1929). The story is a complex one that spans 30 years. It deals with the dissolution of the Compton family, aristocratic Southerners. The novel begins with the first line of:  "Through the fence, between the curling flower spaces, I could see them hitting."


"I'm trying to say it all in one sentence, between one Cap and one period. I'm still trying to put it all, if possible, on one pinhead. I don't know how to do it. All I know to do is to keep on trying in a new way." ~ William Faulkner on writing

Photo credit: "The Faulkner Portable" by Gary Bridgman, southsideartgallery.com